Little Kidds

Life with the Littles, starring Zack.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Log-Abiding Citizens

Zack has inherited a two-wheeler with training wheels. It's just his size, and it looks like a mini mountain bike. Originally, the bike was Jacob's next door. He passed it on to his little brother, Liam, who grew out of it and gave it to Paige, down the street. It's been gathering dust in Paige's garage for a year or so, but now we have given it new life.

Zack's head had grown beyond the bounds of last summer's bike helmet, so we needed a new one. The afternoon we got the bike I let him ride it with the old tight helmet, but he complained it was uncomfortable. Paige's mom Sarah and I explained to Zack that kids HAVE to wear helmets when they ride bikes. It's THE LAW. (It is! In Oregon, kids under 18 must wear helmets!)
Zack and I also talked about why it's important to wear a helmet. He's knows where his brain is, and that he must avoid "bonking his brain" whenever possible.

So, the next day when I gave Zack his new bike helmet, he said, "Oh great, thanks! If I didn't wear this, and I rode my bike, a policeman might stop me and say 'You're breaking the log!'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home